Padre on OSX DMG – Now on Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion

Please use the 0.88 DMG.

Below is the old 0.86 post for reference.

Thanks to Mark @ Cava for giving me the perl build line needed to produce Padre packages that work on the latest three OSX versions.

You can now grab the latest OSX Padre packages (0.86) with a few plugins embedded, at:

I plan to post a complete ‘how go build and package Padre on OSX’ post (and/or wiki page on Padre trac) as soon as I update my padre-brew.pl tool for Lion.

If you’re interested, I now build perl with this command:

perlbrew install 5.14.1 -ders -Dusethreads -Duseithreads -Accflags="-arch i386" -Accflags="-B/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/include/gcc" -Accflags="-B/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/lib/gcc" -Accflags="-isystem/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/include" -Accflags="-F/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks" -Accflags="-mmacosx-version-min=10.5" -Aldflags="-arch i386 -Wl,-search_paths_first" -Aldflags="-Wl,-syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" -Aldflags="-mmacosx-version-min=10.5" -Alddlflags="-arch i386 -Wl,-search_paths_first" -Alddlflags="-Wl,-syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk" -Alddlflags="-mmacosx-version-min=10.5" -Duseshrplib

And I configure and build Alien::wxWidgets and Wx::Scintilla with the following build:

CFLAGS='-arch i386' CXXFLAGS='-arch i386' CPPFLAGS='-arch i386' LDFLAGS='-arch i386' OBJCFLAGS='-arch i386' OBJCXXFLAGS='-arch i386' perl ./Build --wxWidgets-extraflags=" --with-macosx-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk --with-macosx-version-min=10.5 " --wxWidgets-build='yes' --wxWidgets-source='tar.bz2' --wxWidgets-version=2.8.12

If you have bugs, please file them in track: http://padre.perlide.org/trac/wiki/osxbugs

All errors are my own.

Thanks!

Post to Twitter Post to Digg Post to Facebook Send Gmail Post to LinkedIn Post to Reddit Post to StumbleUpon

About Tom
I work in a healthcare technology startup. These days, I attempt to code in Perl, and this blog is about the Wild Perl we write, startup life, and many other things.

14 Responses to Padre on OSX DMG – Now on Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion

1. Leo says:

Wow – this is fantastic! :)

2. John Horner says:

So, it started up fine, but crashed silently as soon as I saved a file.

Weirdly, I could Save As, but not Save.

Who wants to read the crash report/system log?

[Please note also that Command-S for "Save" should be universal in Mac apps. For a moment I thought I was saving, but I wasn't!]

3. Tom says:

Hi John,

There are OSX bugs, for sure! Some menu items not having keyboard shortcuts is known (http://padre.perlide.org/trac/ticket/1256) but the save crash is new. Please open a ticket and, most importantly, tell us what platform you’re using.

Tickets can be opened here: http://padre.perlide.org/trac/wiki/osxbugs
    If you can, please use the *keyword* osx (one of the ticket slots).

Thanks! Tom

4. Tom says:

Hi John,

What version of OSX were you using?

Thanks!

5. John Horner says:

Hi, I’m on 10.6.7

I will put the bug into the wiki right away.

6. Tom says:

Great! I just got the problem reproduced on my end as well, so can look into it as soon as possible.

7. John Horner says:

And by the way, I didn’t bother to say which version of OS X is there’s a very detailed crash report, 41 KB in all, found in /users/$USERNAME/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports in case that’s any use to other people putting in bug reports.

8. John Horner says:

You’re not making it easy to submit a ticket! I can’t self-register, and I’m all alone on the IRC channel.

Someone email me a username and password maybe?

9. Tom says:

I replied in IRC, and I didn’t realize there were many hurdles to opening a ticket (I’m new to Padre development). I’m happy to take the dump by email (ping me on IRC and I can PM you) if that’s better for you, or in any form you like.

10. Gavin Henry says:

Works on Lion on a MacBook Pro 13″ 2011.

11. Tom says:

Thanks fort the feedback! Check back for new packages (0.90 just released – will post osx package shortly).

12. Rob M says:

Thanks for the posting. This is 9 months later now, but your instructions worked for me for Padre 0.94 on OSX 10.7.3. Note that I didn’t need the special Alien::wxWidgets build — I just did the first line of perlbrew instructions, and then “install Padre” in cpan and it all just worked from there. (Padre is still a bit buggy, but that’s another story and at least it built easily once I had a 32 bit perl.)

13. Lee Falin says:

Just a little note that if you have the version of Xcode installed from the App Store on Lion and later, the SDK files are no longer in /Developer but are now bundled in the Xcode application. This causes the build to fail but can be easily fixed with a symlink:

sudo ln -s /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/ /Developer

14. butcher says:

Weblog moved out in chrome